Skip to main content

Pasta a la Italia...or so


Pasta can be cooked in so many ways. I came up with this one sunday afternoon when I really needed to eat something different.

then I gave it an interesting name, afterall, pasta is synonymous with Italy.

Ingredients

· 1 packet of Spaghetti

· 1 large red onion

· spring onions or shallots

· 2 large carrots,diced

· Half of a small cabbage

· 2 large green peppers

· 1 large red bell pepper (tatase in my local language)

· 1 large yellow bell pepper(optional)

· 1 large bay leaf

· 2 tablespoons of cornflour                             

· 5 tablespoons of cool water

· stock cubes/chickenstock/seasoning

· Garlic-crushed

· Some cream cheese (optional)

· Some real butter (not magerine)

· 4tablespoons of oil                                                   

· Cherry tomatoes or  small tomatoes,halved

Lets cook

Pour the pasta into already boiling salted water, stir occasionally to avoid the strands sticking together, allow to cook for few minutes,drain and set aside

     In a  a saucepan, heat some butter and oil , sauté the peppers, the tomatoes, the garlic,the spring onions, carrots, cabbage. Add some seasoning. Put the cornflour in cold water and dissolve,pour into the stirfry/sauté mixture and mix, this gives ur mixture a creamybase, add some cream cheese if youd like some.

Taste your creamy base mix to be sure its well seasoned,then fold in the spaghetti carefully with two wooden spoons.

Easypeasy! Bon apetit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...