Skip to main content

Best of Naija series.....Jollof rice

Its served in every Nigerian party: weddings,naming ceremony,office parties,even bridal showers,its the popular Jollof rice.Accompanied by dodo(fried plantains), cole slaw or a full salad, this meal is yummy when cooked properly. I usually make a vegetable Jollof rice because I dont like the idea of plain rice,except off course i'm eating it with a biiiiig portion of salad.
                                                                                                                         



Memoirs: I remember a School I attended outside Nigeria, organized an international week. One unique thing about that department was diverse Nationalities,I was asked to cook something Nigerians love and I didnt waste time deciding what I was gonna cook!.Jollof rice!

I called my dad(an expert in finding naija food in the US) to ask how to identify our dear 'atarodo' among dozens of species of pepper with the same colour and/or size.LOL.

I found the right ingredients thankfully and cooked it happily,garnished it with plantain, and watched the foil bowls/tray go down to the last grain as people from different Nationalities sampled this dish we love so Much in Naija.  Ghanians didnt spare the rice one bit! they are very familiar with it. Okay lets cook.


 You'll need
                                       
Add caption
  • 2 habanero(ata rodo)
  • 5 Large tomatoes
  • 3 large tatase(red bell pepper)
  •  1 large bay leaf
  • 3 cooking spoons of chicken/beef stock
  • some seasoning
  • pinch of salt
  • one tablespoon of crushed garlic and grated ginger
  • 2 onions (1 to blend with the tomatoes and pepper)
  • diced carrots green pepper,spring onions and green beans
  • one small can of tomato paste(optional)..it actually reddens the jollof rice.
  • 3 cooking spoons of oil
  • half teaspoon of curry
  • half teaspoon of thyme
Parboil your rice, wash the excess starch and drain it.

 Blend the tomatoes, the habanero,tatase and the onion,you can blend the ginger and garlic with it at once.steam it till the water is dried.In a pan, fry the onions and  add the tomato/pepper sauce, also add the canned/satchet tomato paste.

Add the curry,thyme, stock,seasoning TO TASTE(be careful not to make it too spicy or salty)
Pour the parboiled rice into the tomato/pepper sauce/base and add water to cover the rice a LITTLE bit,be careful not to add too much water so you don't get soggy rice. At this stage I like to add some sliced onions and tomatoes in rings before covering the pot.I prefer to add the water in stages as it dries.

Remember to add your bay leaf,the flavour is a classic!

Allow to cook untill soft enough. if youre adding veggies, add them about 3-5minutes before your rice is cooked so they can steam up,retain their colour and crunch.

Voila!

Serve with grilled chicken/fish/salad/dodo



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...