Skip to main content

Asian Shredded beef and mushroom sauce and how to get the best results in cooking basmati Rice

Yesterday was Sunday, I craved something from the Asian Cuisine collection. I thought to myself, I would make something I had done before but a different version. I had done a beef stew which is continental ,I learnt from my kenyan friends, its also kind of Irish. This recipe has an Asian twist to it, the soy sauce, mushrooms, green peppers...its just lovely. I got reminded of this sauce when my friend reeta put up a picture of something similar last week, whetting my apetite,lol. I also stumbled on a blog www.1qfoodplatter.com that made the recipe uncomplicated.

I decided I was going to give it a try, my non-professional idea of making the sauce(which I jotted down) matched her recipe just right.....it means its possible to guess how a meal was created by eating it more than once. This is especially true of people who take great interest in cooking.

Enough said. Lets cook.

You'll need
  • Some strips of beef
  • 1 tablespoon  of cornflour
  • beef seasoning cube
  • One large green pepper
  • Carrots, Julienned (cut in strips)
  • One large Onion
  • One table spoon of crushed ginger and garlic
  • Olive oil
  • Two tablespoons of Soy sauce
  • Mushrooms(optional)
Season the beef strips ,coat them in flour,and fry until cooked, remove the beef add the onions, carrots and green peppers,fry for about two minutes and set aside. if you are using mushrooms, add the mushrooms to teh vegetables and let it cook for like 3 minutes. pour the beef back into the pan and add the soy sauce.
Make a paste of cornflour and water and add to the beef, lower the heat and allow teh beef to cook a bit more incase its still hard.
beef strips: the red screams..unhealthy..please dont eat it often

Note: I actually cooked my beef strips before the whole process, I still coated it in flour and fried it. I did that because I am not used to frying beef from the raw state. However because they are strips,they cook faster than meat chunks even when you fry from the raw state.







cooked beef strips,sauteed mushroom, green pepper,onions,soy sauce and crushed garlic&ginger












 Add the vegetables back to the pan and add water and more seasoning to taste depending on the consistency you want.it shouldnt be too runny nor too thick.It should like the sauce in the picture below.

Serve with Basmati rice, coconut rice, thai rice or anyhow you like it actually!

This consistency is just right for me
How to cook basmati rice.
There are two methods, One is the absorbtion method,the other is the pasta method. I have mastered the art of cooking pasta so I dont try any other method for cooking basmati.

To cook yor basmati, bring a pot of water to boil, the water should be more than the rice in a manner that the  rice cannot absorb the water. Rinse your basmati rice over until the water is clear, drain it and pour into the boiling water,cook for about 10-12 minutes. drain the water from the rice, there should be excess water.

Allow the rice to sit for 5 minutes and then fluff it up with a fork. and its ready to eat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...