Skip to main content

Pancakes-as easy as they come (banana pancake pops and yam pancakes)

Pancakes are so easy to make. I always say,as long as you have your non stick pan and spatula, you can work around the batter and different flavors and toppings.

I wouldn't have thought of blogging about pancakes, i feel like its so easy, but i started getting people ask me how mine tasted yummy,so I decided to share,its about getting the basic recipe, nothing else. sometimes i even skip the eggs because somehow we taste eggy things easily in my home and it could get us nauseous .sometimes I add yogurt to the mix,sometimes i skip the butter and use a spoon of canola oil. with practice,making pancakes becomes "second nature".

For someone who's really interested in seeing children eat, I make all types of pancakes, last night it was yam pancakes made from my left over boiled yam. Today its an easy pancake batter with bananas and i made tiny pieces to put on a stick to appeal to the kids. banana pancake pops!


You'll need                                                        
  • one cup of flour                                                                           
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder                                   
  • 2 tablespoons of melted butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large banana,sliced
  • one teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup of sugar or 3 heaped 
  • tablespoons of sugar
  • milk to mix to get your batter
Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix the wet ingredients and pour into the dry ingredients using a whisk to fold it in, whisk in a little more till you have a batter that isn't too runny nor too thick. Please dont overmix the batter,it doesn't have to be overly smooth.

In a non stick pan,melt a teaspoon of butter or add a teaspoon of canola oil

Put spoons of batter in the pan, or if its one large pancake ,just add one big spoon of batter and tilt the pan to spread the batter around the pan.arrange your slices of banana on top of the batter while in the pan (alternatively,you can mash the bananas and mix into the batter.

Cook on each side on medium to low heat for about one minute.

put mini pancakes on sticks to attract the kids, drizzle with honey

Watch out for more pancake recipes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...