Skip to main content

Chicken pie

Although my kids' favourite sweet pie is apple pie, they also enjoy savoury pies,two of their best savoury pies are chicken pie and beef/meat pie.

I decided to try it out myself because it's not everytime I get the chance to go to a pastry shop or fast food shop to get them some.

Here's chicken pie! I promise to add the step by step pictures.if it's too much work for a day,you can make your dough ahead. I remember I made my dough,two days before,wrapped in in cling film and refrigerated it.

For the pastry.                  
3 cups flour

1 cup cold butter
Tablespoons of cold water
Half teaspoon salt
Half teaspoon sugar (optional)

For the filling
Potatoes
Cooked chicken breast, shredded or cut in chunks
Carrots
Peas
2 tablespoons flour
Curry, thyme,seasoning to taste

Let's go!
To make your pastry, sieve salt,flour and sugar together,cut the butter into the flour mix, rub it in till you have crumbles,add the salt,sugar and one tablespoon of cold water at a time rubbing it in till you get a dough. 

Knead the dough. if you are making a large pie,cut dough in half and set aside. If you are making hand/small pies leave the dough whole,cover with cling film and keep in the fridge.



Work on the filling

Dice carrots,potatoes and boil them (I added my peas while the potatoes were cooking, 
Drain the vegetables and set aside

In a saucepan, fry some garlic and ginger,add the cooked chicken and the vegetables. Season to taste (careful not to get it too salty). Dissolve one teaspoon of flour into cold water and add to your filling,allow it to simmer for 20minutes on low heat so that u have all the flavours infused,and different textures also!

Turn off the heat, cut your pastry into small circles if you are making hand/small pies,put a spoon of filling and fold over,pinch the edges to seal and brush with egg white. If it's a big pie like mine, roll one half of the dough and place into a pie pan as the base dough, fill the base with your potato chicken filling,then roll out the other half dough and place on the filling as the top dough,crimp/seal the edges and put slits on top to allow steam escape when baking!

Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Centigrade for 40minutes or until crust is brown and the filling is bubbly.

Serve warm!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...