Skip to main content

Pimp my oatmeal


Here's how we eat oatmeal.Oatmeal is one of the foods that help enhance learning and memory function in children,researches have been carried out to prove this!

topped with fresh mangoes, cinnamon and chia seeds


While it's true that oat is packed with goodness,this meal can be boring so we literally create a bar of toppings! Today's breakfast had a dollop of nutella (cocoa powder will suffice), fresh diced apples, shredded coconut(dessicated), on days that i have a lot of time on my hands, i make my own coconut by grating it and toasting in the oven or just leaving it freshly grated. 


Other toppings you can use are crushed almonds,soya milk,fresh mangos,fresh strawberries, peanut butter, raisins/dried fruits.the list goes on. We also use these toppings for our local pap (ogi) which is also highly nutritious for infants,babies toddlers and even adults.



Other ways to eat oatmeal is to top with fresh mangoes, some honey and chia seeds

For a more decadent one, top with crushed chocolate cookies, crushed almonds and some milk.

I hope you try this out and hopefully ,your child wont say "NO" to oatmeal or pap anymore.




Refer to my post on oats titled "Say Whoats'? to get nutritional benefits of oatmeal.


topped with crush almonds and chocolate cookie....for mummy
oats topped with apples, freshky grated coconut and a dollop of nutella

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...