Skip to main content

Cinnamon rolls

Cinnamon rolls were a favorite snack during undergrad,it was always yummy coming right out of the oven in the pastry shop. The warm smell of cinnamon and butter filled the air as students lined up to buy them fresh. Hands up if you were one of those students.
I know many moms are already overwhelmed with cooking meals,baking doesn't seem to even be an option but its okay to clean out your ovens,one or two bakes will make everyone at home happy. Here's my cinnamon roll,its a yummy winner. I tried the chocolate spread as a second variant and it was goood. Another variant i make has apple pie filling.

Here is the recipe.Its not as complicated as it sounds or may seem. The recipes vary,some add more butter,eggs,sugar but this one works perfectly for me.Take it a step at a time. I hardly put frosting on mine also because its so sweet already.

Ingredients

Bread
  • 3 cups of flour (I double the recipe most times,set some flour aside forr the work surface when rolling your dough)
  • 2 teaspoons of yeast
  • 3 tablespoons of sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1.5 cup cold butter
Filling 
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3 tablespoons of cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar

Dissolve the yeast in 3 cups of warm water, stir and set aside.
Place the flour,pinch of salt and sugar in a mixing bowl, add the cold butter and mix till its crumbly.
mix in the yeast mixture till you get a dough. knead the dough lightly with the bottom of your palm on a floured surface.

Oil a bowl and keep the dough there,cover with a napkin and leave in a warm place to rise for an hour.
Tto prepare the filling, mix the soft butter,cinnamon and sugar together.

Back to the rolls; flour a surface and roll out your dough about 2 inches thick,with the back of a spoon,spread the filling evenly on the surface of the dough. you can sprinkle raisins on the surface also.

Starting from the end close to you, roll  up the dough away from you (outward) till you have a long cylindrical pastry. cut into slices and arrange them in an oiled baking pan as seen below;


Cover the baking pan with a napkin and keep away for another 15-30 minutes, I usually do this before the kids wake up so that the wait is not so long,or start early enough if i want to serve it as a snack.


Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees centigrade for about 40 minutes. if it starts browning too quickly you may need to cover with a foil or reduce the heat. I usually brush it with butter some minutes before finally bringing them out of the oven.

yumyum


The smell that wafts through the kitchen and the house just announces the cinnamon rolls.

Enjoy! Do let me know how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...