Skip to main content

Naija salad

So one day my friend whom I can also call a sister in New Jersey,USA, pinged me to send her the recipe for "naija salad" as she put it. The first recipe that came to mind is the typical salads we eat at Nigerian parties with jollof and fried rice. its funny how these salads have very similar recipes and taste so alike, well, they could be called "garden salad" if we were to go by the cuisine name. Another characteristic of the Naija salad may be the cream/salad dressing, its often "heinz salad cream' or "mayonaise". However, some commercial restaurants or hotels mix their creams from the scratch.



here is the recipe I gave her

Ingridients
cabbage
lettuce
tomatoes
cucumber
carrot
onions
vinegar
tuna fish/baked beans
hard boiled eggs

procedure
wash the vegetables thoroughly in vinegar or a mild sterilizing fluid,layer the shredded cabbage, lettuce and grated carrot in a tray or salad bowl, dice the cucumbers or slice as desired on the layered veggies, slice/dice the tomatoes on the layered veggies, slice the hard boiled eggs and arrange in an attractive way on the salad, spoon some tuna and/baked beans on the top of the salad ,cover with cling film and refridgerate for about 20mins.

note: in some cases, the cream is already mixed with the veggies, others serve it on the side and allow the guests to add their desired quantity.in addition, some people dont use salad creams/dressings for some reasons. please note theat there are other interesting salad dressings that add to the taste, like "thousand island" and 'ranch" dressing, its just that the heinz salad cream and mayonnaise give it the "naija" flava.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...