Skip to main content

Ditch the frying (potatoes and chicken)

So we know that quite a number of people nowadays are trying hard to lose weight, cut down on cholesterol,build healthy hearts and stay healthy generally. Fried foods which most people love,contributes largely to the fat/cholesterol build. Lets face it, fried food is tasty but there are other ways of enjoying tasty food. last saturday, we had grilled chicken and baked potatoes for brunch, with some all natural smoothie.(refer to post on saturday morning rendevouz for smoothie recipe).

what you need

  • Potatoes,sliced                                         
    oven baked goodness
    

for the chicken
  • 6 chicken drumsticks or chicken breasts
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic and ginger
  • 2 tablespoons of freshly ground pepper or dry pepper
  • 1/2 a teaspoon of curry
  • 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs or just oregano,sage,basil or a mixture of all
  • 1 teaspoon of adobo seasoning/ 1 large chicken stock cube
  • 1 tablespoon of water
lets cook

Mix the dry rub(the dry ingredients),add a table spoon of water or olive oil to moiston it slash the chicken breasts or drumstick in about  two places so the rub can get in. (season to taste).set aside for some minutes (you can season it ahead of time) so it marinates well.

bake the chicken at 200 degrees centigrade  for about 30 minutes, flip it and bake for another 15minutes.

For the potatoes, place them in a tray or baking dish, sprinke some salt and maybe a teaspoon of olive oil,if you're so used to the taste of oil in your chips. bake at about 175 degrees for 10 minutes or until its cooked through.

Bon Apetit!

Comments

  1. Great,now I can have fries without feeling guilty! Can I bake my pancakes too?*puppyeyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes dear you can bake the pancakes. pls check the link..."healthy wholewheat nectarine and apple pancake batter. its like baking your pancakes. thanks for following.

      Delete
  2. I find your blog interesting and educating! Its more or less an e-recipe blog. Please keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...