Skip to main content

Plantain bread....before you throw out your overripe plantain

I know many people have overripe plantains at home at one point or the other and you sometimes notice it when its about to go bad. Please mamas, don't chuck it in the bin please😁! I use ripe bananas for this recipe sometimes, but when i have plantains,they do the job too.


My kids love this bread and it disappears faster than the normal loaves we buy at the stores.i guess one of the reasons is, the smell that wafts through my home is so inviting while it bakes, they can hardly wait for it to get out of the oven. 


 The inside of this loaf is so moist and yum😀      

                                                  

You will need

2 cups flour
1/4 cup cold butter or coconut oil
2 teaspoons yeast
2 large overipe plantains,
Pinch of salt
1/4 or less cup of sugar,you can substitute with honey.
4 tablespoons powdered milk
2 tablespoons cinnamon (optional)

pinch of nutmeg

Mash or blend the plantain and set aside
Add the yeast to 2 cups warm water/milk if you are using liquid milk and allow to stand
In the bowl of flour,add the cold butter and mix till crumbly or coconut oil if that's your substitute.

Add the pinch of salt,cinnamon, nutmeg,yeast mixture,plantain,sugar/honey and mix together kneading gently with the base of your palm or in the food processor with the dough hook.
Oil a bowl and keep the dough there,cover it and keep it in a warm place for about an hour.

Bring the dough out and put it in an oiled pan.


In a preheated oven,bake at 180 degrees centigrade for 1 hour or check at 40minutes if a toothpick/knife comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the loaf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...