Skip to main content

My Aunty Bank's no-fuss Shepherd's pie -3 easy steps

Gotta blog this one! Its my shepherd's pie story. I hope this blog de-mystifies the seemingly complex perception you have about the recipe.

I always wanted to have it on my christmas menu but each time I found a recipe, the ingredient list looked so long,id close it and pick something else. One day I was chatting with my Dad's Big sister who loves to cook. I have memories of eating her spicy yummy crispy fried chicken as a kid each time she came to Nigeria for holidays with my cousins. So,we had a phone chat one day and it crossed my mind that she would be a pro at cooking English food,i decided to ask if she had a simple shepherds pie recipe! Voila,here it is! While she gave me the liberty to twist and tweak her recipe(that's the beauty of cooking),i still kept it as original as possible. I always advice myself to first learn the original,then, i can start making versions of it. I didn't have one or two of the ingredients at home and I wasn't going to postpone this yummy meal anymore so I cooked it! What more? My kids enjoyed it! Enough said,lol, let's cook!

You'll need

  • Ground beef/minced meat
  • One small can/sachet tomato puree
  • 2 fresh tomatoes chopped
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • Seasoning for the meat (I used seasoning cube,dried basil,curry,thyme,powdered ginger)
  • One large onion, diced
  • 2 small carrots,diced
  • 2 tablespoons red wine (didn't have this at home but it tasted great still)
  • For the mash:
  • 6-8 large or medium sized irish potatoes( you can add one sweet potato to the irish potatoes)
  • A knob /tablespoon of butter
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I used garlic salt,its salt infused with garlic powder-one of my favourite spices)
  • A splash of  milk
  • Some love (lol)-makes everything taste better
  1. In a frying pan/ skillet, heat some oil,add the onions and carrots, fry till the onion is translucent and add the ground beef and and all the seasoning, add the fresh tomato and the puree, reduce the heat and allow the meat to cook through.add some water if itstoothick but make sure the consistency is NOT runny/watery. Transfer to a baking dish.
  2. Boil your potatoes,drain the water. while still hot, add some butter, a splash of milk,light salt (remember your meat sauce is already seasoned). Mash up the potatoes with a masher,fork,food processor and spread it on the meat sauce. Use the back of a fork to make streaks on it as shown in the picture.
  3. Bake in the over at 180 degrees centigrade for 30 minutes or till the potato has some brown tint/highlight (looks beautiful I promise).
Tip from my cousin Sayo: add cooked lentils to the meatsauce for more bulk,I have to say,lentils are packed with iron,protein and folate and should be included in kids diet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cinnamon Plantain fritters

This is my first blog post in 2020, should I say, having an Instagram account has boycotted my blogging? It takes conscious effort to blog when most followers are so active on Instagram and engage directly with posts, but I wont forget my cute blog. Love you forever bloggie, for the times you were great company during all my maternity leave experiences.                   Its been a lockdown period globally because of Covid-19 and I trust you are all keeping safe. Remember, God is our refuge, our very present help in time of need. This too shall pass. This lockdown came with all sorts of cravings for my family members, starting with me,the head chef,haha. Today's snack was prepared within few minutes. You can name it plantain fritters. I think I have a very old blogpost called plantain puffs which is very similar to what i made today. So just before you throw away your overripe plantain, think about this recipe and make a sweet ...

A twist to the Arab "Hummus" using Ewa oloyin."EWAMUS"

Hummus is an Arab spread or dip made from chickpeas and olive oil ,lemon juice,salt and garlic. I had an idea to make a dip like that but from a specie of beans called "Ewa Oloyin". This beans is so scarce in Abuja where I live and I usually wait for my mum to send it to me from Ibadan. Some people claim that they sell it but when I taste it, its not as sweet as what I grew up eating (not a big fan of beans though,lol). I finally met a woman at the market who said hers was the original, I bought just a little to be sure of its taste,well it was actually the beans I know. Enough of the stories.lets cook Here's to The New Nigerian Cookery, I am identifying with a serious Nigerian culinary expert who runs Dooney's Kitchen who is so creative with cooking. She also puts a twist to meals and they rock!When this idea dropped, I said 'yasssss' ,this is dedicated to the New Nigerian Cookery. You'll need 2 cups of beans,sorted and cooked (I prefer using ...

Preserving Green leafy Vegetables by freezing

Today, I am writing about preserving green leafy vegetables. Sometimes, people are unsure if  freezing of leaves reduce the freshness when prepared. After experimenting, I suggest that leaves can be frozen till you're ready to cook. I used Ewedu and Spinach for the latest experiment. I cant resist giving you a quick background on Ewedu Leaf before I discuss its preservation. Ewedu leaf ,for those who dont kow it ,is the local name for the Genus Corchorus . Different common names are used in different contexts, with  the name "jute"  applying to the fibre produced from the plant, 'Mallow-Leaves" for the leaves used as a vegetable. On a lighter note, a friend's 3year old daughter asked for the English name of Ewedu  and her mum put it up on facebook,asking for answers.  she did get  many hilarious answers (you'd understand this better if you are from an ewedu eating background) well, I suggested the english name "we-do"!  Corchorus...