- parboiled rice
- 1 can of coconut milk/fresh coconut milk
- white pepper
- blended red pepper/tomatoes(already boiled)
- 1 large onion
- olive/vegetable oil
- bay leaf
- stockcubes/chicken or beef stock
- diced carrots,runner beans,thinly shredded cabbage
- diced green pepper and red bell pepper(tatase in my local language)
- chopped spring onions
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic mixed with grated ginger
cook the rice half way,wash off excess starch and set aside
in a pan, fry the onions and garlic,the blended tomato/pepper paste,add the coconut milk, stock and stock cubes, white pepper and the seasonings.
Allow mixture to cook for a while. Pour in the parboiled rice,put the bay leaves around the rice mixture. cook for a few more minutes,about 25minutes(depending on the type of rice),till soft but not mashy. add the vegetables about 3 minutes to the end of the cooking so it can steam but retain the color and crunch.
stir the food when its cooked and remove the bayleaves.
Note:This dish tastes great served with a simple salad and grilled chicken/fish.Also note it is important to use already boiled pepper/tomato blend to avoid the raw taste of pepper in your food
It can also be cooked with a curry base instead of tomatoes/pepper. the key ingredient is the coconut milk.